Dropbox Media Folders
|This article needs work to bring up to the standards of this wiki, either by expansion or lots of editing. Articles requiring only proofreading or wikifying should be tagged with wikify.|
Needs to be linked to from more places?
How to set up a new Dropbox account
Based on instructions at http://wiki.dropbox.com/TipsAndTricks/MultipleInstancesOnUnix
Make sure that either your X11 forwarding works or you aren't trying to use it (e.g. don't use -X or -Y option with ssh).
1. Create a base directory. See /lu/dropboxes.
Example: mkdir /lu/dropboxes/[chapter name]
2. With the new base directory as the fake home directory, install Dropbox.
Example: HOME=/lu/dropboxes/[chapter name] /lu/software/dropbox/dropbox start -i
3. The app will say "This client is not linked to any account..." and prompt you to visit a Web page.
Do so, and switch to the "Create an Account" tab instead of logging in. Make up appropriate account information for the new chapter. Then submit it. Example:
- First name: [Chapter name]
- Last name: Splash
- E-mail: [chapter name]-firstname.lastname@example.org
- Password: [randomly generated, safely kept password]
4. Kill the dropbox process that you started (use 'ps ax | grep dropbox' then 'kill -9 [pid]'). 5. Start up dropboxd for that user for the first time.
Example: HOME=/lu/dropboxes/[chaptername] /lu/software/dropbox/dropboxd &
6. Add the above command to /etc/rc.local to make sure that dropboxd is started on boot.